Not every motorcyclist has this practical item – a motorcycle cover. Its purpose is to protect the iron horse from external influences in order to preserve the paintwork, metal, and rubber was made in their original form. Not only on the street but also under the roof, the device requires care and proper storage. When the motorcycle is stored in the garage, dust accumulates on the body, condensation accumulates, so it is important to protect the equipment well during the winter hibernation.
What are the benefits of using the motorcycle case?
- Shelter from dirt and dust. In winter, it is customary for us to sprinkle the roads with sand, and with the onset of the season, it rises along with all the dust and covers the bike. Leaving the mot in the parking lot, after that you can contemplate a whitish dusty layer – not only looks unaesthetic but also leaves micro-scratches when trying to wash it off with a rag. Moreover, you cannot draw on it with your finger – the painted surface is also damaged.
- Getting rid of curious passers-by. Not everyone understands that a motorcycle is the same inviolable property like a car, for example. There are those who want to touch, take a picture nearby, or, even worse, put a child who can “push the buttons” so that the engine does not start. There is still a risk: a person will accidentally drop the device, scratch it.
- Anti-theft protection. There are thefts according to the principle “I walked by, I saw something beautiful, I liked it – I took it for myself.” If the motorcycle has a cover, the thief will have to take time to remove it, and it will be embarrassing for a fraudster to do this. Horsethief, not knowing where the fasteners are, will tinker, and passers-by will pay attention, and you will have additional time to notice the thief. Of course, it will not save you from professionals; other means have been created for this.
- Wintering safety. The motorcycle cover protects against scratches in case of accidental fall, from a layer of dust and condensation, leading to rust and mildew on rubber elements. Competently covered with special chemicals, the motorcycle will create its own microclimate under the cover, the main thing is not to leave it wet. Also, if there are several vehicles in the garage, there is a chance to hit the bike once again and damage it.
If a motorcycle cover is so useful, why doesn’t everyone have one?
It’s about simple human laziness. It takes time to pull it out, shake it, throw the cover over the motorcycle, check that it does not melt from the hot pipe, and fix it. It’s not long if you get the hang of it. Then already run on business. And when you return, you want to be cool, come to the parking lot, jump on your horse and dash off into the sunset. With the cover, you have to spend two minutes, roll up, and put it in your backpack before getting on the bike and warming up the engine. Labor costs.
Another reason is “I have a garage.” If the owner has his own garage or covered parking, the purchase of a cover is bypassed. But even in the four walls and under the roof, there is dust and the risk of the bike falling.
What are motorcycle covers made of?
If the pilot decides that the bike needs a cover, the horse is covered with a simple canvas blanket or, even worse, a piece of plastic wrap. You can’t do this, the tarpaulin will get wet and come off with the paint. If you transport a motorbike in a tarp, scuffs will remain. Polyethylene helps mold and rust. Due to the temperature difference under the film, humidity increases, which causes corrosion and fungal plantations.
A real motorcycle cover is made of special fabric and has serious characteristics:
- moisture protection – so that the awning does not get wet under the shower;
- fireproof – the cover should not catch fire or melt on contact with hot pipes and the engine so that the pilot does not wait for the motorcycle to cool;
- preventing the formation of condensation – the cover must “breathe”;
- ease of washing – water, dirt, surprises from birds or animals, just bad people who can throw something on a motorcycle – all this the cover must take out and be easily washed;
- durability – the device does not always park on asphalt, sometimes on gravel or in forest areas, so the fabric should not tear, barely caught on a branch, a durable motorcycle cover lasts for several years;
- lightness and compactness – so that you can easily roll up the cover and put it in a backpack or wardrobe trunk, and not carry it separately in a large car trunk.
The most common fabrics for awning covers are oxford and tarpaulin. On the inside, the awnings are covered with polyurethane or polyvinyl chloride. The first impregnation protects against water and provides breathability to prevent fungus and corrosion. The second, in addition to these properties, has a refractory effect. The impregnation not only provides thermal protection against heating by the sun but also protects the cover from melting on a hot motorcycle.
If you first decided to purchase a cover for your device, go for it! Finding a good one is not difficult, and motorcycle covers can be ordered from many specialized online retailers.
Motorcycle cover: the nuances of choice
In addition to the fact that the cover must fit in size (see the size range and class), consider a few more details.
Pay attention to the seams – the most vulnerable part of the cover. They must be glued or rubberized, because water leakage is possible here. Of course, beautiful cases have intricate cut and many seams, but the less, the safer. Protection against the occurrence and development of corrosion is primarily provided by high-quality seams.
The clasps and elastic bands are designed to keep the motorcycle cover attached. If there are not enough of them and the cover is inflated by the wind, the parachute effect will simply drop the motorcycle. Elastic bands are not practical, they waste time on securing the cover, and buttons, ties, and fasteners are more convenient: they put it on and fix it. There are models with magnetic mounts and with a combination of all methods.
Perforations are a trifle, but they get rid of condensation in the heat. Placed at the helm, on the license plate. Also, manufacturers sometimes sew zippers into the cover in the area of the side bags. Convenient if you have already fixed the cover, but forgot to take something. Please note: zippers must also be waterproof.
The lining of the cover is in contact with the wings and the tank, which means it must be clean and soft, otherwise the owner, against his will, begins to worry about the safety of the paint, the possible appearance of minor scratches if the cover is hard from the inside.
Finally, the look: color and design. Yes, they say, black color is heated more than others in the sun and is invisible in the dark, light shades are too easily soiled. However, do not look at conventional wisdom – choose a cover so that you like to use it.
Protection of individual motorcycle elements
Covers for various parts of the bike perform, in addition to a protective one, also a decorative role and increase ride comfort. They can be made from artificial or natural leather, sometimes even by hand, which adds a special touch to the motorcycle.
There are seat covers, their purpose is to protect them from the harmful effects of the environment and time. In addition, accessories enhance ride comfort. Tank covers protect the paintwork from dust, scuffs that later form from the knees. Pockets for storing various little things can be sewn to such cases, it is quite convenient. Special cases with transparent compartments for a phone or a navigator will make it easier to travel in unfamiliar terrain and look impressive as a whole.
If desired, accessories can be found on the motorcycle market, online stores at reasonable prices. Although not all protective and decorative covers will suit the style, you need to take into account the model and purpose of the device.